User types

Academic licenses

Academic (research) licenses are the cheapest licenses available, except for teaching-only licenses. These licenses are granted only to degree-granting institutes such as universities and colleges, and are strictly limited to academic, non-profit research. It does not allow collaboration with government labs or industry.
The academic site license is a popular option that allows all employees of the university at 1 geographic site to use the license.
See pricing tables for annual license fees.

Academic high-performance computing center

If a license is installed at an academic HPC center will only be used by a single academic research group, or multiple research groups from the same university, academic license fees may apply. If academic users from different universities get access to the software, an academic HPC center license needs to be purchased. In all cases, usage is restricted to academic users only, and may not be used for collaborations with government labs or industry.

Government licenses, other non-profit

These licenses are for non-profit research institutes that do not qualify as academic. The license may be used by all employees at that geographical site. The default license terms do not allow this license to be used for collaboration with commercial parties.

Commercial licenses

These licenses are for companies or any other entity using AMS for for-profit work (directly or through a collaboration). The license may be used by all company employees at the specified geographical site. The standard commercial license does not allow contract research or consulting for third parties.