At the moment, we are no longer considering new applications, but please send us your resume to express general interest in future customer-facing roles at SCM.
SCM, a scientific software company located in Amsterdam, is looking for a technical sales representative to join the SCM team in Amsterdam to support potential and existing users to make the most out of the Amsterdam Modeling Suite for their research and development.
The ideal candidate has a background in computational chemistry and/or materials modeling. (S)he is communicative, enthusiastic, and can easily understand and translate R&D needs into simulation requirements.
The new technical sales representative will work with all our SCM team: developers, application scientists, and business support to help our (prospective) users as well as possible by identifying current and future opportunities. (S)he will represent SCM at conferences, have virtual and on-site discovery calls and meetings, give scientific support, and will help craft online and offline materials that help highlight the capabilities of the Amsterdam Modeling Suite.
- A PhD in a relevant field
- Flexibility in working hours (travel, remote calls with different time zones)
- Extensive experience in running chemistry, materials and/or process simulations
- Outgoing, happy to network, great listener and translator
- Talent to clearly communicate across different disciplines, roles, and seniority levels
- Outstanding presentation skills
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills
- Aptitude to quickly learn in-depth about new fields, including technical details
- Drive to help researchers succeed in their projects
- Ability to express our unique value proposition and understand those of our competitors
Additional desirable knowledge and experience:
- Experience applying computational methods in (a) relevant field(s): catalysis, batteries, polymers, organic electronics, ..
- Knowledge of, or exposure to, development strategies and cycles in large scientific software packages
- Any previous relevant experience in (technical) sales, account management, and/or marketing
What we offer
- This position will initially be for one year but is intended to be extended and become permanent.
- The position is available immediately but there is flexibility concerning the starting date.
- Competitive salary related to experience, bonus, as well as relocation costs, and secondary benefits (including ABP pension fund).
- 34 holidays per year on top of national holidays.
- Flexible working hours and the option to work remotely part of the week.
- This is a full-time (preferred) or part-time (at least 0.6 FTE) position based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Software for Chemistry & Materials B.V., SCM, is an independent spin-off company of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, The Netherlands employing approximately 25 highly educated people. SCM develops, maintains, and markets the Amsterdam Modeling Suite, used by computational (quantum) chemists, physicists and materials scientists in academia and industry. It includes the Amsterdam Density Functional (ADF) molecular DFT program, the periodic structure DFT program BAND, the reactive molecular dynamics program ReaxFF, approximate DFT (DFTB) software, Machine-Learning Potentials and Classical Force Fields, a kinetics module, and the COSMO-RS module for thermodynamics of mixed liquids, as well as their respective graphical interfaces and python scripting environments and workflows.
SCM has its office space on the VU campus, at walking distance from the Amsterdam-Zuid train station. We also extensively collaborate with many academic groups and household-name industrial partners worldwide. The working atmosphere at SCM is that of an informal team of PhDs and PhD students doing intellectually challenging work. SCM is located in the same wing of the building and closely interacts with the well-known Theoretical Chemistry (TC) professors at the VU: Visscher, Bickelhaupt and Fonseca Guerra as well as emeritus professor Baerends. The TC group consists of about 30 people, including a very international mix of PhD students, postdocs, and guests. SCM is a science-focused company which has been around for over 25 years. It is financially solid, growing, and profitable. SCM is located in Amsterdam, the very lively, enjoyable and internationally oriented (with 178 different nationalities) capital of The Netherlands. Thanks to its high quality of living and dynamism, Amsterdam has been elected as “best city for Millennials to live”, 4th most dynamic European city and best European tech city to work in, and it consistently ranks high in Mercer’s annual Quality of Living surveys (11th best in the world, in 2019).
We invite applicants with any gender and nationality.
Further information, applying
Detailed information on SCM and its software can be found at https://www.scm.com/
Those interested in this position are encouraged to contact us for further information: Dr. S.J.A. van Gisbergen, CEO, and Dr. Fedor Goumans, CCO through firstname.lastname@example.org
Job applications can only be sent by email to email@example.com.
The application procedure will continue to run until the position is filled, and new applications are still welcomed. Applications should contain a CV and a motivation letter.
References may be requested at a later stage.Key conceptsjobs